MEXICO CITY (AP) — The former head of Mexico's state-owned oil company is denying accusations that he took bribes from Brazilian construction company Odebrecht.
Emilio Lozoya says he was never corrupt and suggests the allegations are being made by executives seeking to reduce their own sentences in Brazil.
The Brazilian newspaper O Globo said Sunday it has obtained statements made by former Odebrecht director Luis Alberto de Meneses Weyll to investigators. Weyll said that from 2012 to 2016, Odebrecht paid Lozoya $10 million to win a contract for work on a refinery in central Mexico. Lozoya left Pemex last year.
Mexico's Attorney General's Office has issued a statement saying it doesn't have all of the information from Brazilian investigators, but would pursue to the case to its ultimate consequences.