LOS ANGELES (AP) — Authorities say an elderly Los Angeles couple escaped just before an explosion rocked their home after a contractor accidentally severed a gas line.
Assistant Fire Chief Patrick Butler says the couple was saved by a gas company worker who called them out of the house moments before it erupted in flames Tuesday night.
The home in the Woodland Hills area was heavily damaged by fire and smoke. No injuries are reported.
KABC-TV reports (http://bit.ly/2sAwMf1 ) the explosion was apparently the result of a contractor doing sewer work at the home.
SoCal Gas says it was notified at 7:30 p.m. of damage to a natural gas line at the home. Shortly after the call, the explosion was reported.