The sole nuclear power plant in Iran is back up and running at full capacity, the Iranian Atomic Energy Organisation announced. The Nation reported the plant had been shut down for two months after fuel unloaded from one of the reactors, which raised fears for some Western diplomats about the safety of the plant.
Iranian officials said the unloading was not due to any technical problems at the facility but was "routine procedure." A spokesperson for Russia’s state-owned Rosatom, which built the nuclear facility, has denied a Reuters report that the plant was shut down due to safety concerns after stray bolts were allegedly found under fuel cells, the Tehran Times reported.
“After a two-month shutdown needed to check the fuel and the reactor, the Bushehr power plant was linked to the national grid on Saturday and reached its full capacity of 1,000 megawatts on Tuesday," said Fereydoon Abbasi Davani, head of the organization, according to The Nation.
The Bushehr plant does not adhere to the Convention on Nuclear Safety established after the Chernobyl disaster in 1986, which is aimed at improving safety and transparency with nuclear operations, the article highlighted. However, Iran and Russia have repeatedly stated that the plant is fully compliant with high-level safety standards and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) safeguards.