Statoil installs Gudrun platform in the Norwegian North Sea

Source: Statoil

Norwegian major Statoil (NYSE:STO) reports that the steel support structure for the Gudrun platform is now in place on the North Sea field, completing the first phase of the extensive Gudrun installation work being carried out there. 

“We’ve passed an important milestone for coming on stream at the right time and to budget," said Anders Opedal, senior vice president for projects in Statoil’s Technology, Projects and Drilling business area. "With the jacket solidly positioned on the seabed, we’ll be able to start drilling in the fourth quarter as planned.” 

Installation of the steel structure began on July 24, and the job of attaching it to the seabed was completed on  August 2 when the last of 12 60-meter piles was driven home. Saipem 7000, the world’s second-largest crane vessel, has been used to carry out the installation work on Gudrun. 

Weighing some 7,000 tonnes all told, the traditional jacket comprises two main structures of almost 2,300 tonnes each, tied together by six horizontal frames and various bracings. 

Important Contribution 

“Gudrun is the first of a number of new installations in an area of the Norwegian North Sea which is both highly interesting and mature,” observes Ivar Aasheim, senior vice president for field development in the Development and Production Norway business area. 

“By exploiting existing infrastructure for processing and transport, we’re ensuring production from new fields. Gudrun will also make an important contribution to maintaining high production levels going forward.” 

The next development milestone is the start of pre-drilling production wells on the field. These will be tied back to the platform for partial processing and oil and gas export. 

Final processing of Gudrun’s output will take place on Sleipner A, with the gas piped to the adjacent Sleipner T platform for carbon dioxide removal. In addition, electricity to operate the Gudrun installation once it comes on stream in two years’ time will be supplied from Sleipner A. 

Gudrun Development

Gudrun ranks as one of Statoil’s largest development projects on the Norwegian continental shelf, and contains some 127 million barrels of oil equivalent. Located on Production License 025 in the central Norwegian North Sea, Gudrun is operated by Statoil with 75 percent interest. GDF Suez holds the remaining 25 percent working interest.

Scheduled to come on-stream in 2014, the NOK 21 billion (US $3.9 billion) Gudrun development will include a jacket-supported production platform with 16 well slots. The initial development plan calls for seven production wells, and the remaining slots may be used for further drilling to boost Gudrun production or for wells on other fields.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs