More oil spilled at Penglai oil field offshore China

By Phaedra Friend Troy

Chinese national oil company CNOOC revealed that more oil has been found at the Peng Lai oil field in the Bohai Bay offshore China.

Since the beginning of June, Peng Lai 19-3 has been plagued with oil seepage issues from the seafloor. On June 4, oily seepage was observed at the Peng Lai B Platform; and on June 17, oil and gas bubbles were observed near the C Platform. In mid-July, ConocoPhillips suspended production from both platforms at the instruction of State Oceanic Administration of China.

Operator ConocoPhillips has been deploying extensive efforts to both contain and clean-up the oily substance, identified as oil-based drilling mud. So far, the amount of oil-based drilling mud that has leaked is valued at 2,500 barrels.

Additionally, about 717 barrels of oil has been released to the water's surface, and the total volume of fluids spilled is estimated at 3,217 barrels.

In addition to offshore efforts where the companies are working to stop the fluids escape , as well as clean-up oily fluids at sea, ConocoPhillips and CNOOC currently have 111 people walking and 19 vehicles patrolling along the Bohai Bay shoreline for oil appearances. 

ConocoPhillips serves as operator of Peng Lai 19-3 on Block 11/05 with 49 percent interest. CNOOC holds the remaining 51 percent working interest. Discovered in 1999, the Peng Lai oil field was first brought into production in 2002. A second phase of development added five drilling and production platforms and an FPSO vessel, which started production in May 2009.

Sign up for PennEnergy's eNewsletters

For Email Newsletters you can trust

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs