UK DECC approves RWE Dea to develop Breagh gas field in the North Sea

By Phaedra Friend Troy

The UK Department of Energy and Climate Change has given RWE Dea unconditional approval for the Breagh natural gas field development plan in the UK North Sea.

Located on UK Continental Shelf Blocks 42/12a and 42/13a, the Breagh gas field is situated in the Southern North Sea in waters measuring 62 meters deep. With more than 13 billion cubic meters of natural gas reserves estimated, Breagh is one of the largest natural gas fields to be developed in the Southern North Sea.

“The FDP approval is a hugely significant achievement for our Breagh gas field development. It is an essential element for the realization of our strategic target to boost RWE Dea’s annual gas and oil production to more than 70 million barrel of oil equivalents by 2016,” said Ralf to Baben, COO of RWE Dea.

Being developed in two phases, Breagh is expected to come online in mid-2012.

The first phase of developed includes the installation of the Breagh Alpha fixed platform and 100 kilometers of 20-inch-diameter pipeline. Hreema Vlissingen is building the jacket and topsides, and Heerema Maine Contractors is scheduled to install the facility in early September. Allseas Construction Contractors was awarded the engineering, installation and pre-commissioning of the pipeline.

Produced natural gas will be transported to the UK mainland and the Teesside Gas Processing Plant at Sea Sands, before being connected with the UK market.

Scheduled for FDP approval in early 2012, the second phase of development includes drilling additional wells on the east side of the field from the Breagh Bravo platform, which would then be tied back to the Breah Alpha platform.

“This is welcome news, Breagh is one of the largest natural gas discoveries in the Southern North Sea in recent years, and developments like this play a vital role in ensuring we have secure energy supplies throughout the UK,” Energy Minister Charles Hendry said.

RWE Dea serves as the operator of the Breagh gas field with 70 percent interest. Sterling Resources holds the remaining 30 percent working interest.

Sign up for PennEnergy's eNewsletters

For Email Newsletters you can trust

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs