RWE, TURCAS begin construction of Denizli natural gas combined cycle power plant in Turkey

Source: RWE

RWE and TURCAS held the groundbreaking ceremony for their new natural gas combined cycle power plant in Kaklik, a district of the town Denizli in Western Turkey. Both companies together are investing about Euro 500 million in this joint venture. The 775-megawatt Denizli plant will meet the increasing need for energy in the region and will provide 3.5 million residential customers with electricity. When it starts operations by the end of 2012, the Denizli plant will account for 2 percent of total electricity production in Turkey.

RWE & TURCAS Güney Elektrik Üretim, the joint company of the German and Turkish utilities, welcomed high-ranking guests to the groundbreaking ceremony for the natural gas combined cycle power plant: Taner Yildiz, Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources; Eckard Cuntz, German Ambassador to Turkey; Yavuz Erkmen, Governor of Denizli; Juergen Grossmann, Chief Executive Officer of RWE; Erdal Aksoy, Chairman of the Board of Turcas Petrol; Andreas Radmacher, Chief Executive Officer of RWE Turkey, as well as state officials and executives from RWE and TURCAS.

Juergen Grossmann, Chief Executive Officer of RWE, underlined the importance of the project: “Turkey’s need for energy is increasing continuously. Together with our partner TURCAS we will help to secure the country’s energy supply. For RWE this is an important strategic step into the Turkish market.” He added: “The Denizli plant plays an important role in RWE’s international strategy. We believe that Turkey will become a very important energy market. Another key RWE project in this country is the Nabucco pipeline”. The International Energy Agency (IEA) forecasts that Turkey’s energy consumption will double in the next 10 years. With an average annual growth of 8 percent, Turkey has one of the fastest-growing energy markets in the world.

Erdal Aksoy, Chairman of the Board of Turcas Petrol, said: “RWE has vast experience in operating combined cycle power plants. We are very pleased with our joint investment in Denizli and we will continue to invest in the future of Turkey and our energy markets.” Turcas holds 30 percent of RWE & TURCAS Güney Elektrik Üretim where RWE holds the remaining 70 percent.

Also speaking at the ceremony, Andreas Radmacher, Chief Executive Officer of RWE Turkey, stated: “We feel at home here. RWE quickly became a corporate citizen of Turkey. We will go forward together with our Turkish friends and partners to advance the development of the region.” 

One of the most modern and environmentally friendly plants in Turkey 

The Denizli natural gas combined cycle power plant is designed in multiple shafts constructed on two lines incorporating a gas turbine, generators and a waste heat boiler. The high-pressure steam released from the two waste heat boilers will be transferred to a common steam turbine with its own generator, while cooling will take place in air-cooled condensers. The plant will operate at 56% efficiency. Thus it will be one of the most modern and environmentally friendly plants in Turkey.
Contribution to the local economy 

The plant brings long-term and sustainable benefits to the region. Currently, 160 people are employed at the construction site. The number of employees is expected to rise to between 400 and 600 people during the busiest construction phases. Besides that, many local suppliers are involved in the project. After the Denizli plant is connected to the national grid, approximately 40 to 60 people will be employed on an ongoing basis.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs