Total discovers gas, condensate at Edradour in the waters West of Shetland

Source: Total

French producer Total (NYSE:TOT) has made a new gas and condensate discovery in the West of Shetland on the United Kingdom Continental Shelf, close to the currently under development Laggan and Tormore fields

The Edradour exploration well lies in block 206/4, approximately 75 kilometers northwest of Shetland in a water measuring 300 meters deep. The well reached a depth of more than 3,500 meters and encountered gas and condensate in a Cretaceous reservoir with good petrophysical properties. 

Full formation evaluation, including an extensive sampling program, has been undertaken. Once the appraisal phase is completed, studies will be launched to consider the development of these new resources through the Laggan and Tormore facilities. 

“While definitive testing is still to be completed, Edradour already is another meaningful discovery for us in the West of Shetland region,” said Patrice de Vivies, senior vice president, Northern Europe, Total Exploration & Production. “It should reinforce our third production hub on the United Kingdom Continental Shelf around the Laggan and Tormore fields, after the success of our existing Alwyn and Elgin Franklin hubs.” 

Total has a 75% operating interest in the Edradour licence, with DONG holding the remaining 25%. Total (80%) and DONG (20%) are also partners in the Total-operated Laggan and Tormore development, which was sanctioned in March 2010 and is scheduled to produce first gas in 2014.

Total Exploration & Production in the United Kingdom 

Total has been present in the United Kingdom since 1962. The country represented near to 10% of Total Group’s equity production in 2009, amounting to 217,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. 

Total E&P UK is one of the most active oil and gas operators in the United Kingdom where it continues to invest heavily. In addition to the Laggan and Tormore development launch, Total has launched this year the Islay field development, with first gas expected for the second half of 2011. Recently, Total also announced the launch of Phase 2 of the development of the West Franklin field, with a production expected to start by the end of 2013. 

Employing around 750 staff at its Aberdeen headquarters, the company’s portfolio includes operatorship of the Alwyn Area fields, the high pressure/high temperature Elgin and Franklin fields and the St Fergus Gas Terminal, together with a number of non-operated fields. 

With the objective to always operate in line with sustainable development requirements, Total E&P UK is committed to optimising safety and environmental performance. Total E&P UK also contributes to the community in and around its north-east Scotland base.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs