Reliance discovers natural gas with Dhirubhai-52 in the deepwaters offshore India's East Coast

By Phaedra Friend Troy 

Reliance Industries has made another natural gas discovery with Dhirubhai-52 at Block KG-DWN-2003/1 (D3) in the deepwaters offshore India. 

The fourth successful exploration well on the block, the KGV-D3-W1 discovery well was drilled to a total measured depth of 10,010 feet (3,051 meters) in waters measuring 5,423 feet (1,653 meters) deep. The Dhirubhai-52 discovery well transected a gross natural gas pay zone of 123 feet (37.5 meters) in Piocene-aged sands. 

Drilling on the well was delayed due to problems with the drilling rig's blowout preventer. Transocean's Deepwater Expedition was replaced with the Deepwater Expedition drilling rig.

Located about 28 miles (45 kilometers) from the East Coast of India, Block D3 was awarded in August 2005 through NELP V. Operated by Indian producer Reliance Industries with 90 percent interest, the D3 license is located in the Krishna Godavari Basin. Hardy Oil & Gas (LON:HDY) holds the remaining 10 percent participating interest in the license, which spans about 812,482 acres (3,288 square kilometers). 

"Four successive discoveries highlight the significant prospectivity of this extensive exploration block,” said Yogeshwar Sharma, Hardy CEO. “The Krishna Godavari Basin is an emerging world class basin for India." 

The Government of India and Directorate General of Hydrocarbons has been notified of the Dhirubhai-52 natural gas discovery. Wireline operations and sample testing has taken place, and commerciality of the discovery is being evaluated. 

“Further exploration drilling is planned in this area and we look forward to continuing to participate in unlocking of the basin's exceptional energy potential,” Sharma revealed.



Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs