Valiant discovers more light oil at West Tybalt in the UK North Sea

Source: Valiant Petroleum

Valiant Petroleum announced that its planned side-track in the operated Tybalt exploration well 211/8c-4z (License P1632) has discovered light oil in the four-way dip 'T1' structure. This West Tybalt discovery follows the success in East Tybalt in the UK North Sea. 

The well encountered an oil bearing reservoir section in the Upper Magnus sands of approximately 550 feet (168 meters). This was larger than pre-drill estimates, and pressure data collected imply up to three separate oil columns may be present with the largest totalling c.423 ft (129 m). The size of the overall oil column encountered suggests that the East and West Tybalt discoveries are in communication and a more complex geological setting is present which includes both stratigraphic and stacked trapping mechanisms. 

Initial analysis suggests the reservoir quality in this location is better than that encountered in the original East Tybalt discovery well and the net pay is estimated to be between 100 feet and 200 feet (30-60 meters). As with the original discovery well, Valiant has run an extensive data collection program including a reservoir core, wireline logs, fluid sampling, pressure readings and a vertical seismic profile. The joint venture has now decided to proceed with a drill stem test of the well with results expected in the next two weeks. 

Valiant will now use the data collected in the two Tybalt discovery wells to undertake a detailed reservoir and geological modelling exercise to determine the best way forward. Valiant believes the currently discovered volumes to be commercial and that the large oil column could lead to further upside in the block to the north and west. The potential upside in the Tybalt area is subject to considerable uncertainty due to the complexity of the geology encountered and will need to be confirmed by further appraisal drilling. 

Valiant act as operator of the blocks with 80% working interest with the remaining 20% held by Agora Oil & Gas (UK) Limited.



Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs