Marathon pumps first oil from Volund field in the Norwegian North Sea

Source: Lundin Petroleum

The Volund oil field offshore Norway has commenced oil production.

The Volund field is located in block 24/9 of the Norwegian sector of the North Sea, approximately 8 kilometers south of the Alvheim field in Production License, PL150. The Volund field is a subsea tieback to the Alvheim floating, production, storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel.

Volund will be producing at gross rates of approximately 10,000 barrels of oil per day (bopd) to mid 2010 after which the Volund field has guaranteed production capacity of 25,000 bopd on the Alvheim FPSO.

The Volund field is expected to reach a peak production of approximately 25,000 bopd gross (8,750 bopd net to Lundin Petroleum) during the third quarter of 2010 when two further production wells currently being drilled will be brought onstream.

" The development of the Greater Alvheim area continues with Phase 2 drilling on Alvheim commencing later this year and the likely development of the Marihøne and Viper exploration discoveries made last year,” said Ashley Heppenstall, President and CEO of Lundin Petroleum. “Our objective is to keep the Alvheim FPSO operating at maximum capacity for the foreseeable future.”

Lundin Petroleum holds a 35 percent working interest in Volund with Marathon Oil Corporation (Marathon) as operator with the remaining 65 percent working interest.

Lundin Petroleum holds a 15 percent working interest in the Alvheim field and associated FPSO. Marathon is the operator.



Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Maximizing Operational Excellence

In a recent survey conducted by PennEnergy Research, 70% of surveyed energy industry professional...

Leveraging the Power of Information in the Energy Industry

Information Governance is about more than compliance. It’s about using your information to drive ...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs