Eni awards Goliat FPSO to Hyundai Heavy Industries

Eni Norge has awarded the Goliat Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) contract to Hyundai Heavy Industries. In a NOK 6.9 billion (US $1.16 billion) contract, HHI has been awarded the engineering, procurement, construction onshore commissioning and transportation contract for the Goliat FPSO. 

On the other hand, Aker Solutions today reported that the company has not won the Eni Norge engineering, procurement and construction contract for the Goliat FPSO. The Aker Solutions bid involved working with Samsung Heavy Industries, where Aker would have performed the engineering and built the topside and utility modules while Samsung was to build the FPSO hull. 

According to Aker, this project would have generated approximately 7,000 man years in Norway. 

“It is too early to comment on how this will affect the future yard capacity in Norway,” said Jannik Lindbaek, the senior vice president for corporate communication at Aker Solutions. “We will now invite our employee representatives to work with us to get a common understanding of the current challenge, and set the direction going forward.” 

Goliat Field Development Contracts Awarded 

The FPSO chosen for the Goliat field is a fully winterized Sevan 1000 FPSO design, which is a cylindrical floater design. The Goliat FPSO will have a daily production capacity of 110,000 barrels of oil and 4 million cubic meters per day, as well as a storage capacity of 1 million barrels of oil. Production on the Goliat oil field is scheduled to start in 2013. 

In mid-January, Eni awarded the project and engineering management for the Goliat FPSO to Sevan Marine.
Aker Subsea was awarded the contract to provide the subsea production system for the Goliat field, including eight subsea templates that will support 22 wellhead and production tree systems, as well as control umbilicals, riser bases and workover systems. 

Additionally, Technip was awarded another Goliat subsea contract, which includes the supply and installation of the flexible risers, production flowlines, and the water and gas injection flowlines, as well as the installation of the subsea production system, umbilicals, templates and riser bases. 

A First: Goliat Oil and Gas Field in the Arctic Circle 

Discovered in 2006, the Goliat oil and gas field is located on Production License 229 and 229B in the Barents Sea off of the northern coast of Norway. Situated in waters measuring 343 meters deep, Goliat is the first Norwegian oil field to be developed in the Barents Sea north of the Arctic Circle. 

Eni serves as the operator of Goliat with 65 percent interest in the field, while Statoil holds the remaining 35 percent interest.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Latest PennEnergy Jobs

PennEnergy Oil & Gas Jobs