Russia to Loan $25 Billion to Build Egypt's 1st Nuclear Power Plant

 Russia to Loan $25 Billion to Build Egypt's 1st Nuclear Power Plant

Russia said it would loan $25 billion to Egypt to begin building the first nuclear power plant in Egypt.
 
The loan is expected to cover 85 percent of the costs and Egypt will ahve to cover the remaining 15 percent, according to Russian Times.

The plant will consist of four units generating 4,800 MW of electricity. Russia is expected to provide the loan in installments from 2016 to 2018, and Egypt will have 22 years to repay it, the article said. The first repayment is scheduled for 2029 at an annual interest rate of 3 percent.
 
The two countries signed a memorandum of understanding to further develop the nuclear infrastructure. Russia’s Rosatom will build two of the reactors based on Russian technology.
 
Subscribe to Nuclear Power International magazine



Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Maximizing Operational Excellence

In a recent survey conducted by PennEnergy Research, 70% of surveyed energy industry professional...

Leveraging the Power of Information in the Energy Industry

Information Governance is about more than compliance. It’s about using your information to drive ...