NV Energy and Great Basin Transmission South announced Thursday that the 231-mile long One Nevada Transmission Line (ON Line) is operational and already serving customers.
The 800-MW line connects NV Energy's northern and southern service areas, running from the Harry Allen Generating Station to the new Robinson Summit Substation. The line can connect NV Energy's 10 generating stations.
The transmission line also promotes renewable energy in remote areas in the state. Currently there are 11 renewable energy projects that the new transmission line is serving.
NV Energy owns 25 percent of the line and affiliate of LS Power, Great Basin Transmission South, owns the remaining 75 percent. However, the utility has rights to 100 percent of capacity until other potential project phases are complete. The projects are known as the Southwest Intertie Project (SWIP).
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) granted Great Basin a $343 million loan guarantee to help finance the project.
Sturgeon Electric Co. constructed the transmission line, and Wilson Utility Construction Co. built the substation.
Subscribe to Power Engineering magazine