According to The Charlotte Observer newspaper, Duke CEO Jim Rogers was quoted as saying Feb. 1 was an âaspirational targetâ that could change. Previously, officials had said there would not be a decision made until summer of 2013.
The single-unit plant has been shut down since 2009 after cracks were found in the reactorâs containment building. Repairs are expected to cost up to $3.4 billion as a worst-case scenario, according to a report from Zapata in October. The costs of buying replacement power have exceeded the $490 million in insurance coverage, the article said.
As part of a settlement agreement, Duke said it would pay $100 million in refunds to customers in 2015 and 2016 since repairs did not begin on the plant before the end of 2012.
Subscribe to Nuclear Power International magazine