AAE and Ugandan government enter into power purchase agreement

California-based AAE Systems Inc. and the Ugandan government have entered a power purchase agreement for electricity produced by a 150 MW geothermal plant built in western Uganda, according to Uganda’s New Vision.

The $1.2 billion geothermal plant is expected to be finished in about two years, according to the report from New Vision. The project fits with Uganda’s plan to encourage renewable sources of energy in the country’s effort to expand its power infrastructure.

Currently, about 13 percent of the country’s population is connected to power, according to New Vision. The remaining 87 percent “need it but are unable to have it,” the report states.

AAE will sell the power to Uganda at about eight cents per KWh, according to the report.

Read more geothermal energy news

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...