NRC proposes changes to annual nuclear fees

The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is seeking public comments of proposed changes to annual fees charged to applicants and licensees for fiscal year 2013. The proposed fee rule includes required fees to recover approximately 90 percent of the agency’s budget authority.

Based on the FY 2013 budget submitted to Congress, the NRC’s required fee recovery amount is approximately $924.8 million, up 1.7 percent from FY 2012. Approximately 40 percent of the fees will be billed for specific services to recover the cost of special benefits to identifiable applicants and licensees. The remaining 60 percent will be billed as annual fees. The NRC is required to collect all fees by Sept. 30, 2013.

NRC is proposing to change the current hourly rate of $274 to $277 for FY 2013, which is a result of an increased agency direct budgetary resource for the fiscal year. The NRC would also revise the flat license application fees to reflect the new hourly rate. The proposed annual fees would increase for spent fuel storage facilities, research and test reactors, fuel facilities, most material users and uranium recovery facilities, while annual fees for operating reactors and U.S. Energy Department transportation activities would decrease.

Comments on the proposed rule are due by April 8 and may be submitted through the government’s rulemaking website at http://www.regulations.gov using Docket ID NRC-2012-0211.

Subscribe to Nuclear Power International magazine

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Maximizing Operational Excellence

In a recent survey conducted by PennEnergy Research, 70% of surveyed energy industry professional...

Leveraging the Power of Information in the Energy Industry

Information Governance is about more than compliance. It’s about using your information to drive ...