Ontario Power Generation (OPG) celebrated 100 years of hydroelectric generation at the Wawaitin site on June 6, 2012.
Placed into service in June 1912, the original Wawaitin station continued to generate electricity for the people of Ontario until March 1, 2010, at which time, at the end of its service life, it was replaced with a new generating station at the same location.
Now standing in the place of the original Wawaitin station is a 15 MW plant. Wawaitin was replaced as part of OPG’s larger Upper Mattagami and Hound Chute Redevelopment Project. The $300 million project included the redevelopment of the Sandy Falls, Wawaitin and Lower Sturgeon sites on the Mattagami River, and the Hound Chute site on the Montreal River. All four stations were returned to service on time and on budget, providing 44 MW of hydroelectricity to Ontario, more than doubling the original capacity, while using the same amount of water.
Read more hydroelectric news