Wind energy developer sues Ontario government

Trillium Power Wind Corp. is suing the provincial government of Ontario for C$2.25 billion ($2.15 billion), claiming it unfairly cancelled all offshore wind projects earlier in 2011.

Trillium’s statement of claim, filed on Sept. 28 in Ontario Superior Court, alleges that the provincial government’s decision to cancel offshore wind projects was made for political reasons, to please wind power critics in the run-up to the provincial election.

In February, the provincial government cancelled all offshore projects, going against Ontario's Green Energy Act which encouraged new development in wind, solar and other renewable energy technologies. At the time, the government said it had to take a cautious approach toward offshore wind until the environmental impacts were clear.

While Trillium has spent about C$5.3 million ($5.1 million) in planning for its first wind farm, the future loss of profits adds up to C$2.25 billion, the filing says.

Read more wind energy news

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Maximizing Operational Excellence

In a recent survey conducted by PennEnergy Research, 70% of surveyed energy industry professional...

Leveraging the Power of Information in the Energy Industry

Information Governance is about more than compliance. It’s about using your information to drive ...

Reduce Engineering Project Complexity

Engineering document management presents unique and complex challenges. A solution based in Enter...

Revolutionizing Asset Management in the Electric Power Industry

With the arrival of the Industrial Internet of Things, data is growing and becoming more accessib...