Nuclear plant returns to service after refueling

South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. (SCE&G), a unit of Scana Corp. (NYSE:SCG), completed its scheduled refueling and maintenance outage at the 1,117 MW V.C. Summer Nuclear Station.

The single unit, Westinghouse three-loop pressurized water reactor entered the outage April 15 and returned to service May 31. The outage followed an 18-month operating cycle and was the plant’s 19th since it began commercial operation in 1984.

In February 2011, Duke Energy reportedly was in talks with Santee Cooper to buy an interest in two planned $9.1 billion nuclear units at the plant. Santee Cooper is looking to sell its 45 percent interest in the proposed nuclear project. Scana owns the remaining 55 percent.

Subscribe to Nuclear Power International

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...