Beach Energy completes Callawonga drilling campaign

The Adelaide duo of Beach Energy Ltd. and Cooper Energy Ltd. has successfully completed a five-well campaign in Callawonga oil field in PPL220 in the South Australian Cooper-Eromanga basins.

The final appraisal well in the current program, Callawonga-17, was cased and suspended as a future oil producer after being drilled to a total depth of 1,452 m. Its primary target, the McKinlay Member sandstone, was encountered 2.7-m high to prognosis.

The well drilled through a 2.6-m gross thickness in this reservoir with an interpreted 1 m of net oil pay in clean sand. A further 1.8 m of net oil pay was encountered in the underlying Namur sandstone.

The aim of the five-well program was to examine the potential of the McKinlay Member that the partners considered to be underexplored. The results have been much better than anticipated, with all five wells finding oil. These results will lead to an upgrade in reserves estimates for the Callawonga field and the data will be incorporated into plans for future development of the McKinlay Member.

Beach is operator with 75%. Cooper has the remaining 25% interest.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...