More wells planned for CD5 drill site in NPR-A

ConocoPhillips Alaska Inc. plans to drill additional wells and add associated on-pad infrastructure to boost production at its CD5 drill site in Alpine field in the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska (NPR-A).

The additions, funding of which has been approved, will bring CD5 to its full design and permit capacity. Project work will begin this year, with the start of production from this next phase of drilling expected in third-quarter 2017. The new wells and infrastructure will be completed within the existing CD5 drill site footprint.

The CD5 pad is designed to accommodate 33 wells. The original development funding was for 15 wells, 10 of which have been completed. The cost of the project is estimated at $190 million, which includes construction, drilling, and well tie-ins. The company expects CD5 to meet its production target of 16,000 boe/d gross average for the year.

“The competitiveness of this next phase of CD5 drilling was improved due to the investment climate resulting from the passage of SB21,” said Joe Marushack, ConocoPhillips Alaska president. “We want to continue to invest in production-adding projects like this.”

The drill site, which began producing oil in October 2015, is the first commercial oil development on Alaska Native lands within the boundaries of the NPR-A (OGJ Online, Oct. 28, 2015).

The company says it’s also advancing development of Greater Mooses Tooth No. 1 (GMT1) in the NPR-A (OGJ Online, Nov. 19, 2015). Production is expected to begin in late 2018 with an anticipated peak rate of 30,000 b/d gross of oil.

Long lead materials are being ordered and detailed engineering is under way. The company is also pursuing permitting of another field in NPR-A, Greater Mooses Tooth No. 2 (GMT2), and is drilling three exploration wells this winter on the North Slope.

CD5 is part of the Colville River Unit operated by ConocoPhillips Alaska with 78% interest. A subsidiary of Anadarko Petroleum Corp. holds the remaining 22%. The Greater Mooses Tooth Unit is also ConocoPhillips 78% and Anadarko 22%.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Maximizing Operational Excellence

In a recent survey conducted by PennEnergy Research, 70% of surveyed energy industry professional...

Leveraging the Power of Information in the Energy Industry

Information Governance is about more than compliance. It’s about using your information to drive ...