Repsol makes third gas discovery in Algeria’s Illizi basin

Repsol SA encountered gas at a depth of 1,307 m in the Tan Emellel Sud-Ouest-2 (TESO-2) exploration well of the Sud-Est Illizi block in southeast Algeria, yielding a flow rate of 175,000 cu m/day and 90 b/d of condensate on a 32/64-in. choke.

Four more wells are planned to appraise previous discoveries within the block. In 2012 the Tihalatine South-1 well—the first of a five-well exploratory program—tested at a rate of 3.7 MMcfd at 1,073 m (OGJ Online, Nov. 9, 2012).

Repsol operates the block with 52.5% interest. Partners are Enel SPA 27.5% and GDF-Suez 20%. Algeria’s state-owned Sonatrach will hold 51% interest in the development and production phases, with the existing members maintaining their existing proportions in the remaining 49%.

Repsol’s activities in Algeria, where the company produces 8,000 boe/d, comprise the Tin Fouye Tabankort production project, Reggane Nord development project, and Sud-Est Illizi and Boughezoul exploration projects. Sud-Est Illizi was awarded in December 2009 and Boughezoul in October 2014.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...