Statoil makes eighth discovery off Tanzania

Statoil ASA has discovered an additional 1.0-1.8 tcf of natural gas in Block 2 off Tanzania bringing the total in-place volumes to about 22 tcf. The new Mdalasini discovery is in 2,296 m of water at the southernmost end of the block.

Statoil drilled the Mdalasini exploration well with 100% working interest. Previously, Statoil and partner ExxonMobil Corp. made seven discoveries on Block 2: Zafarani-1, Lavani-1, Lavani-2, Tangawizi-1, Mronge-1, Piri-1, and Gilligiliani-1(OGJ Online, Oct. 14, 2014).

The Mdalasini-1 discovery marks the completion of the first phase of Statoil’s exploration program off Tanzania, said Nick Maden, senior vice-president of Staoil’s western hemisphere exploration. While the company continues to see prospectivity in the area, there will be a pause in drilling to evaluate next steps, he added.

Statoil operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corp. and has 65% working interest. ExxonMobil and Tanzania Ltd. hold the remaining 35%.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...