Drilling under way on first NPR-A oil development

ConocoPhillips has started drilling on the first oil development in the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska (NPR-A).

The start of oil production from the CD5 drill site on the North Slope is expected during the fourth quarter. Current development plans call for 15 wells with expected peak gross production of 16,000 bo/d.

Primary project infrastructure—including a road, gravel pad, four bridges, and pipelines—is already complete. CD5 represents a total project investment of more than $1 billion.

“CD5 has been 10 years in the making and is an important development for our company and for Alaska,” commented Joe Marushack, president of ConocoPhillips Alaska. “In addition to bringing on new North Slope oil production, the infrastructure we installed for CD5 will help enable future development of the NPR-A.”

CD5 is part of the Colville River unit operated by ConocoPhillips Alaska Inc. with 78% interest. Anadarko Petroleum Corp. holds the remaining 22%.

ConocoPhillips is advancing $3 billion gross in new North Slope projects, encompassing CD5, Kuparuk Drill Site 2S (OGJ Online, Oct. 27, 2014); viscous oil development 1H NEWS; and the Greater Mooses Tooth 1 (GMT1) development in the NPR-A (OGJ Online, Feb. 16, 2015).

Peak gross production from all three projects is estimated at 50,000 bo/d, which will be moved through the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Maximizing Operational Excellence

In a recent survey conducted by PennEnergy Research, 70% of surveyed energy industry professional...

Leveraging the Power of Information in the Energy Industry

Information Governance is about more than compliance. It’s about using your information to drive ...