Judge dismisses civil claims against Nalco from Macondo cleanup

A federal district judge in New Orleans dismissed 24 individual claims against Nalco Co. stemming from the 2010 Macondo deepwater well crude oil spill cleanup.

The claims, in which the plaintiffs said they suffered personal injuries from exposure to Nalco’s Corexit spill dispersant, are preempted by the comprehensive oil spill response scheme set forth in the Clean Water Act and National Contingency Plan, Judge Carl J. Barbier, of US District Court for Louisiana’s Eastern District, said in a Nov. 28 decision.

Nalco was named as defendant in 24 cases under the spill’s multidistrict litigation, which were consolidated in MDL 2179.  Latham & Watkins LLP represented the Naperville, Ill., water treatment and process improvement company in the proceedings.

Contact Nick Snow at nicks@pennwell.com.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...