Drillsearch-Beach JV finds more oil in Eromanga basin

A Drillsearch Energy Ltd.-operated joint venture with Beach Energy Ltd. has encountered multiple oil zones in its Pennington-1 wildcat in the Eromanga basin of South Australian permit PEL91.

Pennington-1 hit a 5-m gross oil column in the McKinlay sandstone, which is contiguous with an earlier found net 8-m oil column in the Namur sandstone and a separate 6-m oil column in the mid-Namur section. All are in the Mesozoic-age Eromanga basin sediments.

Wireline data has indicated an upside of in excess of 2 million bbl potential in the structure. This does not include oil shows in the Birkhead formation (also Mesozoic in age) over a 1-m gross interval, which have yet to be fully evaluated.

The well, which is another on the western flank play in the Cooper-Eromanga basin, is to be cased and suspended as a future producer.

It follows the recent Bauer-1 wildcat in the region that flowed at 15,000 b/d with no water present.

Drillsearch has 60% interest and Beach the remaining 40%.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...