Statoil: High-impact gas discovery offshore Tanzania

Statoil

Statoil has reported another high-impact gas discovery offshore Tanzania. The discovery in the Piri prospect is Statoil and co-venturer ExxonMobil’s sixth discovery and the fifth high-impact discovery in Block 2 offshore Tanzania.

The discovery of an additional two to three trillion cubic feet (tcf) of natural gas in place in the Piri-1 well brings the total of in-place volumes up to approximately 20 tcf in Block 2.

“Since 2012, we have had a 100% success rate in Tanzania, and the area has become a core exploration area in a very short period of time,” said Nick Maden, senior vice president for Statoil's exploration activities in the Western Hemisphere. “We quickly went from drilling one well to a multi-well program, and, with Piri-1, we are continuing the success.”

The new gas discovery was made in the same Lower Cretaceous sandstones as the gas discovery in the Zafarani-1 well drilled in 2012.

The Piri-1 discovery is the venture's sixth discovery in Block 2. It was preceded by the high-impact gas discoveries Zafarani-1, Lavani-1, Tangawizi-1, and Mronge-1, as well as a discovery in Lavani-2.

Piri-1 was drilled by the drillship Discoverer Americas. The well location is two kilometers southwest of the Lavani-1 well at 2,360-meter water depth. The Discoverer Americas has now moved to a new location and is currently drilling the Binzari prospect in Block 2.

“Additional prospectivity has been mapped and will be tested throughout 2014 and 2015,” Maden said. “We expect to drill several additional exploration and appraisal wells, and hope that the results from these wells will continue to add gas volumes for a future large-scale gas infrastructure development.”

Statoil operates the license on Block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corp. (TPDC) and has a 65% working interest. ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania Ltd. holds the remaining 35%. Statoil has been in Tanzania since 2007, when it was awarded the operatorship for Block 2.

 



Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...