Pacific NorthWest LNG applies for export license

Pacific NorthWest LNG

On July 5, Vancouver-based Pacific NorthWest LNG applied to the National Energy Board (NEB) for a license to export liquefied natural gas (LNG) from its proposed LNG export facility in Port Edward, British Columbia.

Pacific NorthWest LNG has applied for a license to export up to 19.68 million tonnes of LNG per year for 25 years beginning in 2019.

“Today’s filing for an NEB export license is another important step to bring this tremendous opportunity to reality,” said Greg Kist, president of Pacific NorthWest LNG. “We believe the successful completion of our project will create long-term, multi-generational benefits for First Nations, northwest British Columbia, the province and the country as a whole. While we continue our work to reach a final investment decision in late 2014, we believe that our project has all of the key components of a successful, world-class LNG development.”

The proposed facility represents an investment of $9 billion to $11 billion, and will create up to 3,500 direct jobs during construction, says the company. Once operational, the LNG facility will create 200 to 300 permanent, full-time jobs.

“Pacific NorthWest LNG’s export application is more welcome news, which will help us achieve our goal to be a leader in clean energy supply and export,” said British Columbia Premier Christy Clark. “Our ability to reach new markets will enable British Columbia’s natural gas to create new jobs, strengthen our economy, and lead to a debt-free future.”

Pacific NorthWest LNG will be supplied with natural gas sourced primarily from Progress Energy Canada’s assets in northeast British Columbia. The export project is ultimately owned, through various subsidiaries, by PETRONAS with a 90% interest in the project and JAPEX with the remaining 10% interest.

The project submitted its project description to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA) in February, 2013. CEAA has issued Environmental Impact Statement guidelines that will act as terms of reference for the project’s environmental assessment. Pacific NorthWest LNG intends to submit its environmental assessment to CEAA in late 2013.

Pacific NorthWest’s LNG export facility will be located on Canada’s west coast on Lelu Island in Port Edward, near Prince Rupert, British Columbia.



Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...