Half-centenary milestone for Middle East geophysical contractor

Offshore staff

MASSY, FranceARGAS, CGG’s geophysical services joint venture with TAQA in the Middle East, has marked its 50th anniversary.

Since its formation in January 1966, ARGAS has expanded its initial area of operations from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to the entire Arabian Peninsula and Egypt.

Initially it operated as Saudi Arabia’s main geophysical contractor for the exploration and development of hydrocarbon, water, and mineral resources. CGG and its then partner Petromin worked on transferring advances in geophysical technology to Saudi Arabia, in addition to hiring and training Saudi nationals in the latest methods.

After 30 years focused mainly on airborne and 2D seismic surveys, in 1997 the company began additionally operating 3D crews.

In 2003, TAQA acquired Petromin’s 51% stake in the venture, with CGG retaining the remaining 49%.

In 2008, ARGAS acquired its first 3D marine survey offshore the peninsula and two years later was awarded a three-year program to acquire two ocean bottom cable 3D data acquisition surveys in Saudi waters of the Gulf in water depths ranging from 20-60 m (66-197 ft).

In June 2014, CGG and TAQA extended ARGAS’s operating scope to all Gulf countries.

03/14/2016

Share your news with Offshore at news@offshore-mag.com

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Maximizing Operational Excellence

In a recent survey conducted by PennEnergy Research, 70% of surveyed energy industry professional...

Leveraging the Power of Information in the Energy Industry

Information Governance is about more than compliance. It’s about using your information to drive ...