Eni fasttracks shallow-water gas find through Nooros complex offshore Egypt

Offshore staff

SAN DONATO MILANESE, Italy – Eni expects to bring onstream its latest gas discovery offshore Egypt by the end of this month.

The Nidoco North 1X well was drilled on the Nooros East prospect in the Abu Madi West license in the Nile Delta. As with the company’s previous Nooros wells, it was drilled from onshore as a deviated well to the shallow-water Nooros East field.

The well encountered more than 43 m (141 ft) of net gas and condensates-bearing sandstone layers of Messinian age with good petrophysical properties.

Last September Eni started production from the Nooros area, two months after its initial Nooros discovery, with production of around 45,000 boe/d.

By mid-2016, following additional development wells, capacity is expected to increase to more than 60,000 boe/d. Produced gas and condensates are sent to the Abu Madi’ onshore treatment plant, 25 km (15.5 mi) distant, then routed to the Egyptian network.

IEOC, an Eni subsidiary, has a 75% stake in the Abu Madi West concession, with BP holding the remaining 25%.

Eni plans two further exploration wells in the license area, having identified significant additional potential.

The company has also completed drilling of Zohr 2X, its first appraisal well on the deepwater Zohr gas discovery, in the Shorouk block, 1.5 km (0.93 mi) southeast of and downdip from Zohr 1X, in a water depth of 4,800 ft (1,463 m).

Zohr 2X well was drilled to a TD of 13,684 ft (4,171 m), intersecting 1,614 ft (455 m) of continuous hydrocarbon column in a carbonate sequence with good reservoir characteristics, and 305-m (1,000-ft) net pay.

A formation evaluation program confirmed the same gas/water contact and connection with the discovery well, revealing Zohr to be a single and continuous natural gas structure, fully comprised in the Egyptian Exclusive Economic Zone and within the Shorouk block.

Eni is currently making preparations for a well production test.

It plans three further appraisal wells to fully delineate the field which holds potential in-place reserves of up to 30 tcf of lean gas (5.5 Bboe).

Recently the Egyptian authorities approved the Zohr development plan.

In both licenses, operations are conducted by Petrobel, a joint venture between IEOC and the state partner Egyptian General Petroleum Corp.


Share your news with Offshore at news@offshore-mag.com

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...

Maximizing Operational Excellence

In a recent survey conducted by PennEnergy Research, 70% of surveyed energy industry professional...

Leveraging the Power of Information in the Energy Industry

Information Governance is about more than compliance. It’s about using your information to drive ...