PA Resources, ETAP plan two-phase Zarat development offshore Tunisia

Offshore staff

STOCKHOLM, Sweden – PA Resources (PAR) and state oil company ETAP have submitted an updated development plan for the Zarat gas/condensate and oil field offshore Tunisia.

Zarat, in shallow water, contains estimated recoverable reserves of 147 MMboe. It is Tunisia’s largest undeveloped field, PAR says, and producing its gas will be critical in alleviating the country’s expected future gas supply deficit.

Its geology is similar to PAR’s nearby Didon field and to other producing fields off Tunisia such as Ashtart and Hasdrubal, and the larger El Bouri and Al Jurf fields offshore Libya to the east.

Zarat has been partitioned into north and south licenses. ETAP has the option to back-in to the southern tract for an interest of up to 55%, leaving PAR with 45% - a decision on this back-in option is due shortly after the authorities have approved the new plan.

Joint Oil, a consortium of ETAP (Tunisia) and National Oil Company (Libya), holds the northern tract license.

The proposed development is in two phases with a view to reducing capital outlay. Phase 1 calls for four production wells and installation of facilities to process and export 20,000 b/d of oil and 100 MMcf/d of raw gas.

Phase 2 involves a further four development wells, and expansion of the facilities to increase capacity to 40,000 b/d and 200 MMcf/d. PAR anticipates first oil in 2020.

The scheme makes use of existing Gulf of Gabes infrastructure for the reinjection of carbon dioxide (CO2), export of sales gas to shore, onshore gas processing, and extraction of the LPG stream.

Additionally, the Zarat complex could serve as a hub to facilitate development of nearby stranded oil and gas fields in the eastern Gulf of Gabes, such as PAR’s Elyssa gas field.

Assuming approval for the plan, the development will enter a front-end engineering and design phase leading to project sanction during 2017.


Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...