Statoil makes seventh discovery offshore Tanzania

Offshore staff

STAVANGER, Norway Statoil and co-venturer Exxon Mobil have reported that the Giligiliani-1 exploration well offshore Tanzania is a new natural gas discovery.

The discovery of an additional 1.2 tcf (3.4 bcm) of natural gas in place in the Giligiliani-1 well brings the total of in-place volumes up to 21 tcf (595 bcm) in block 2.

The Giligiliani-1 discovery is along the western side of block 2 at a 2,500-m (8,202-ft) water depth. The new gas discovery was made in Upper Cretaceous sandstones.

The rig Discoverer Americas will now drill the Kungamanga prospect located in the central part of block 2.

The Giligiliani-1 discovery is the venture’s seventh discovery in block 2. It is preceded by discoveries at Zafarani-1, Lavani-1, Tangawizi-1, Mronge-1 and Piri-1, and a discovery in Lavani-2.

Statoil operates the license on block 2 on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corp. (TPDC) and has a 65% working interest. ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania Ltd. holds the remaining 35%.

10/14/2014

 

The Giligiliani-1 exploration well offshore Tanzania is a new natural gas discovery.

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now

Whitepapers

Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...