The pace is accelerating here at the PennWell offices as we gear up for HydroVision International 2014 next month in Nashville, Tennessee, USA.
This is about the time every year that I take a long, hard look at the event holistically. How far have we come? What’s left to accomplish? How will I manage my responsibilities on site? (How relieved will I be when this event is completed and I can take a deep breath, utter a big sigh, square my shoulders and move on to tackle HydroVision International 2015?)
This year HydroVision International is 20 years strong, and to celebrate that we are doing a 20-day countdown to the event that begins Monday. Don’t miss it, at www.hydroevent.com or www.hydroworld.com.
In a similar spirit, I’d like to do my own list. I’ll call it, “Top 20 Reasons HydroVision International 2014 is the Most Awesome Hydropower Industry Event Ever.” (Too much?)
20. Co-located meetings, workshops and seminars. Monday and Tuesday are jam-packed with these activities.
19. Multiple networking receptions. We know it is important for attendees to have time to socialize and bounce ideas off each other.
18. Nashville. This year we get to enjoy the atmosphere of a city that is famous for its music. The Grand Ole Opry is the longest continuously running live radio program in the world, broadcasting since 1925!
17. Unparalleled educational content. HydroVision International 2014 boasts about 400 speakers from about 20 countries presenting information in a whopping 73 sessions.
16. Demonstrations on the exhibit floor. This is a new program, where exhibitors can share information on their products and/or applications during short, informal presentations in the exhibit hall.
15. The atmosphere. There is nothing like being able to talk with people face to face (rather than bombarding them with emails) and truly getting to know them.
14. The Women with Hydro Vision awards. New this year, we will recognize 10 women who have been influential in the hydropower industry at a luncheon on Tuesday.
13. ALL the hot topics. Every year the steering committee puts together 49 fabulous panel presentation sessions that focus on such hot topics as integrating intermittent renewables, dealing with workforce issues, and new development.
12. Wall of Honor. Thank you to all the men and women who have served our country in the armed forces.
11. Closing luncheon and awards program. A great wrap-up to an exciting week, the closing luncheon features a dynamic feature and a multitude of awards.
10. The technical tours. We offer a full-day tour to two operating hydro plants, a shorter tour of a plant in Nashville, and a tour of a plant where the dam suffers from seepage problems.
9. The massive exhibit hall. With more than 300 companies exhibiting products and services that run the gamut of the hydroelectric industry, this is quite an impressive sight.
8. The “fun” events. Back this year is the popular golf tournament and our Thursday night party (the Hydro Honky Tonk). New this year is a Turbine Runner 5K, organized by the Hydro Research Foundation.
7. Meet the editors. If you want to meet us too, pitch us story ideas or just talk about hydropower, you’ll know where to find us a couple of times during the event.
6. Waterpower Hydro Basics. If you or someone you work with is new to hydro, it’s worth attending this two-day course and getting a primer on the industry.
5. Hydro TV. New, we have a TV “channel,” called Hydro TV, that will be shown at HydroVision International and features all kinds of interesting, relevant videos.
4. Harley giveaway. The free motorcycle is always a big draw. Full conference delegates can visit key exhibitors, complete a card and turn it in for a drawing to be held Thursday in the exhibit hall. Join us!
3. Speaker breakfasts. Each day of the conference, we offer breakfast for that day’s speakers. It’s something to see all that great expertise in one room.
2. Keynote. This session kicks off HydroVision International, and we spend a lot of time making sure it is “just right.”
1. The attendees. I enjoy speaking with each and every one of you, and you make it a delight to put this event together every year. YOU make HydroVision International what it is!
I truly do hope to see you all in Nashville July 21-15.