Hong Kong’s first zero carbon building

An ECO-MAX adsorption chiller made in Athens by Power Partners, Inc., as part of a tri-generation system that provides power, heat and cooling is to form the fulcrum of Hong Kong’s first zero carbon building,

The building is expected to be complete in mid-2012 and is a pioneer project to showcase state-of-the-art eco-building design and technology for local and international audiences.

Hong Kong’s CIC and Development Bureau will fund the HK$240 million, two-story building, which will occupy approximately 10% of a 150,000 square foot property in Kowloon Bay.

The building will generate 70% of its electricity by using biodiesel derived from waste cooking oil. The remaining 30% will come from solar or photovoltaic panels located on the roof. The CIC projects that 8,250 tons of greenhouse gases over a period of 50 years will be prevented.

The CIC has targeted the building to qualify for BEAM Plus Platinum, the highest benchmark for green construction.  “CIC’s Zero Carbon Building goes beyond internationally recognized definitions of zero carbon building,” said Yu Wai-wai, Zero Carbon Building Task Force Chairman. “The building is designed to generate more renewable energy than its operational needs, thus allowing the surplus energy to be used by others in the surrounding area.”

The ECO-MAX adsorption chillers made by Power Partners save energy by using waste heat to address a facility’s refrigeration and/or air conditioning needs.  Tri-generation systems that combine cogeneration with an ECO-MAX chiller enable simultaneous production of power, heat and cooling from a single heat source and result in overall system efficiency, as well as savings in capital and energy costs.

For more cogeneration news

Did You Like this Article? Get All the Energy Industry News Delivered to Your Inbox

Subscribe to an email newsletter today at no cost and receive the latest news and information.

 Subscribe Now


Logistics Risk Management in the Transformer Industry

Transformers often are shipped thousands of miles, involving multiple handoffs,and more than a do...

Secrets of Barco UniSee Mount Revealed

Last year Barco introduced UniSee, a revolutionary large-scale visualization platform designed to...

The Time is Right for Optimum Reliability: Capital-Intensive Industries and Asset Performance Management

Imagine a plant that is no longer at risk of a random shutdown. Imagine not worrying about losing...

Going Digital: The New Normal in Oil & Gas

In this whitepaper you will learn how Keystone Engineering, ONGC, and Saipem are using software t...